Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Icelandic-Attack
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2003, 03:15 PM

DFix,
Good obeservations. It's really hard to "describe" how much is in a bunch when dealing with this Icelandic sheep hair. For one, I have several patches of white and none are comparable to the other, some are longer, have more underhair/wool close to the skin, coarser etc. The fly, when dry is bulky looking, when wet and being stripped in, goes down to the size of 1 to 1 1/2 pencils in diameter, lastly when it "rests" in the water column it will bulk up again to about 1 1/2 inches in diameter at the head tapering backwards towards the tail. This all depends on the characteristics of the wool being used, so after some trial & error with various strands/bunches of material you can achieve the desired result. Bear in mind that I'm targeting a specific imitation of a bait so my "tie" is specific to a lake. I have a small (4 inch) medium (6 inch) & large (8 inch) version that I'll use on different lakes and or/different locations in the same lake. This also comes after "putting in time" on each body of water A.K.A. local experience...
As far as the body wrap issue goes, more experimetaion will be done. Your suggestions will be tested and if you have any others send them on..