Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Stripping Basket Cones... tubular dude
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 05:23 PM
juro's Avatar
juro juro is offline
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Steelhead country|striper coast|bonefish belt
Posts: 20,594
I chose the tailpiece to pvc kitchen drain, it's a thinwall pipe that yields 8 cones for approx $3.

I picked up dishpans at about the same price at a large department store and used web belts I already had. I used a razor knife to remove the rim on the beer belly side and it conforms to the gut nicely. Only the rubbermaid and Iris brand plastics are smooth cutting, other brands are brittle and fracture when cutting the rim off or cutting web belt slots. Go with the quality tubs.

The adhesive was aquaseal - I tried devcon plastic weld and marine goop, both failed. I wouldn't bother with anything less although PVC glue might do the trick.

I deburred and sanded the edges quickly before attaching. On the recent prototype I used 8 cones. I only used four for these standard rubbermaid pans because I think four will work well enough.

The design pushes loops away from the center while some percentage falls into the middle. They get randomly spread out into the five regions (4 sides and center) and when pulled tend to gravitate toward the center where all the slopes direct the line. The shooting of line was fantastic in the gen I prototype. We'll see how this one works, if it proves out I will go to using 8 in a larger basket for use with the two-handed rods (they shoot a LOT of running line).

If these prove out then I will use a double snap system to allow removal of the basket without removal of the belt as discussed earlier.

I will report on my second field test FWIW...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foursome.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	2302  
Reply With Quote