Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Barbados
Thread: Barbados
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Jonesin...

Results

Patrice and I arranged to do a 1/2 day trip with Cannon charters. They picked us up from the hotel and brought us to the boat. We were on the water at about 8 a.m. and had our lines in the water just outside of the harbor. Barbados is very fortunate to have deep water just about a mile off shore. We were trolling for about an hour when all of a sudden when one rod on the downrigger and one on the outrigger doubled over and started losing line. Patrice and I were in the chairs and reeling. I have never felt the power of an offshore fish and it took me a few minutes to get the technique down. After a few minutes we brought aboard a 30lb Wahoo. I looked over at Patrice and she had given up and handed the rod to one of the mates. He handed the rod to me and I brought in the second fish of about the same weight. We landed one more fish of about the same weight about an hour later. With about a 1/2 hour left on the charter I was up on the bridge chatting with the captain and the head mate when we heard a loud pop. The head mate slid down the latter and I followed. This fish was talking a lot of line and the mate said its a girl. I soon realized that meant a bigger fish. For a few minutes it was a stale mate as I could not gain any line. I was eventually able to start gaining some line and after about 15 mins a 45lb Wahoo came aboard. The fish was still pretty green and was thrashing all over and Patrice got splashed with a good amount of blood. She took it like a champ and said all she wanted to do was protect the camera. All in all it was an awesome trip with a great crew. Attached are a few visual memories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mcdermott\'s honeymooon 080 (wince).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2293