Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Salmon river crowds - October
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 07:38 PM
fish'n Hobo

Thumbs up

Josko
Dave Barber is a very well respected guide on the river! He will put you on fish. Fly patterns depend on what part of the river you are fishing.

Lower river : the fish are fresh and have not been harassed too much. Estaz patterns, estez buggers, bigger brighter patterns.

Upper River: the fish are more skittish. I use mostly trout flies: size 10-12 black stonefly, 12-14 caddis, Hares Ear 10-14. muted egg patterns, small olive & black wooly buggers. I usually use 8 lb flourocarbon upstream and 10-12 lb downstream. I'm sure Barber will show you some of his favorites.

If you are "chuckin and duckin" be aware of the new 4 foot leader rule. (no more than 4 foot of leader from fly to weight...then heavier "mono mainline" can go from weight to running fly line.
See if you can get Dave to bring you to areas where you can fish with a sinktip or floating line....just like trout nymphing.....minimize drag, mend and hug the bottom.
That is the most important thing...the fish are on the bottom...you need to be in a zone from 6" to 1 foot off the bottom with your fly to have success....with a natural drift. Good Luck!