Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - What kind of feather is this?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Steelheader69's Avatar
Steelheader69 Steelheader69 is offline
flyfishing catarafter
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: OlyPen, Chehalis System
Posts: 881
Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Ok, what about this

I just so happened to be peeling through the pages of one of my atlantic salmon fly tying books (Salmon Flies by Poul Jorgenson) and on page 33 on the bottom there is a feather with same coloration and shape. Only difference is near the top which in sean's pic is a tad flat, in this one has a bit of a point. But I know that feathers change in shape depending on where they are at on the body. In the book it's called a "Hen Body Feather". But, shows 5 flies but 6 listings. I can match the rest up. So could it also be Dyed Cock of the Rock??? I knwo it wouldn't be dyed since it was found. But, may have forgotten a feather. Maybe flytyer still has book, or someone else does and can check it out. Looks PRETTY similar. Virtually identicle (just that sean's is a bit more ruffled).

Just an idea. The picture nearly matches identical.
"Good angling ethic is not a monopoly practiced just by fly fisherman" - Bill McMillan
Reply With Quote