Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - First Fly winter fish of the year
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2000, 10:51 AM

First Fly winter fish of the year

Well I decided that I needed to get out to the Sky this weekend after last saturday having a nice pull down near Monroe last weekend. I decided to hit the upper river and a couple of new runs that different guys had mentioned (sometimes it pays to listen and write things down, too many steelheaders want to talk a lot I try to listen more then talk especially with the guys whom have been at it a lot longer then me). First run had a couple of guys fishing for chum so I hit an old favorite. Nothing so I headed up near Gold Bar and tied on a new fly. Water temp was 38 so I wasn't feeling to optimistic but decided to put the type 6 tip on and started fishing a nice run.

About 3/4 the way down pull pull fish on. One nice long run into the tail then ran right at me and then dogged it. 10 minutes later a beautiful 29" hatchery hen with just a nice red light rose streak. I had a couple of fish in the freezer from a gear trip to the Peninsula with Brian (Doublespey) on monday so I let her go. New run, new fly, first hatchery fish on the Sky, and great memories.

Remember it pays to listen to people whom know. I wouldn't have been on that run or fishing that fly with out listening.

Tight lines

JJ