Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - outboard
Thread: outboard
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 03:14 PM

Perhaps I should clarify my statement in regards to OMC smaller motors.

Just prior to the bankruptcy, OMC dealers were having some serious problems with both quality control issues and getting parts. I do know that my local marine dealer dropped the Evinrude line because of it. There was some discussion in boating circles about getting parts to repair some of the pre-Bombardier outboards.

Don't get me wrong-- I ran Johnson outboards for about 20 years before switching, and I would buy a 1980- 1990 six horse at the drop of the hat because they were extremely reliable workhorses that run forever. From discussions that I've had with people at Bombardier, I believe the new Johnson/Evinrude models are topnotch. It's the ones in between that I wouldn't trust.

And what Juro says about Yamahas is right on the money. This company has taken over the Honda bracket on the back of many NW boats. It's also the motor of choice for a lot of Alaskan saltwater boats as well. If you can find a Yamaha in your price range that hasn't been abused (you should be able to tell), it will serve you well. I would expect the same for Suzuki, Nissan, and Tohatsu, but there getting service may be a problem if you don't have dealers in your area.

Good luck,

Keith