Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Housatonic 4/21 - Cornwall Bridge
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Flats Rat

Housatonic 4/21 - Cornwall Bridge

Hendricksons! With water temperature in the mid 50s, nymph activity has been pretty hot over the past week and a few duns are starting to appear. I arrived around mid day (after getting cold and skunked down at Devon PP ). It was a lot warmer up stream - especialy wading. River levels are high but clarity is great and as the water levels drop each day the fishing can only improve.

I didn't hook up - tried at my favorite low water spots but this is a different place when levels are high. Guys who realy know the river are getting 4 to 5 fish a day and they're all hold-overs. No fish are stocked here before mid May. I tried further upstream and found a few fish rising and a couple of them were large. I couldn't see if they were after the Hendrickson duns or black stoneflies which were also active on the water. I couldn't buy a strike but it was great to throw a dry fly under clear blue skies. Provided we don't get too much rain tommorow, things should be in great shape for this coming week end.