Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Single Hooks vs. Double Hooks
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2003, 10:01 PM

Single Hooks vs. Double Hooks

The logical extension to Malcolm's superb thread on single hooks vs. treble hooks would have to be:

Do you prefer single hooks or double hooks for Atlantic salmon (or any other species), and why?

I fish only singles in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Labrador, and Newfoundland: it is standard practice in those provinces (in Newfoundland, single/barbless hook is law).

I fish a fair number of doubles in Quebec: it is accepted practice in 'La Belle Provence.' I will only fish a double on a floater or a VERY light tip and only in a good current.

Doubles unequivocally ride better than single hooks in a faster flow. On a floater or light tip in the high water of June, a single (depending on pattern) may be less likely to ride point down. I prefer the solid, twin keel of a double hook in a good push of water.

I like a single hook for all sunk line work: singles dramatically lower the chance of foul-hooking a fish. Canadian Maritime rivers do not generally put out the volume of water of, say, the Skagit in Washington or the Gaula in Norway. A single hook on a Fall-run Canadian salmon river is an important consideration.

For double hooks, I now use only the Loop Down-Eyed Double Salmon Hook (not the same as their Tube Fly Double Hook, which has a straight eye). If you prefer an up-eyed double, Mikael Frodin's 'Salar' double--made by Partridge--is the best on the market.

For single hooks, I use only down-eye hooks primarily by Mustad and Partridge. They have less tendency to skate than a traditional, up-eyed salmon hook; and I have greater confidence in their hooking capabilities.

Do you prefer single hooks or double hooks for Atlantic salmon (or any other species), and why?

TB