Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Spey and two-handed discussion board!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2000, 10:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Spey and two-handed discussion board!

Say are you bringing the Sage 11'3" 8-9 wt?? I haven't seen that one and as you know they are no longer in production. I'd imagine that at that length they would be sweet to comparison cast with other two-handers.

To respond to your question, we still are trying to determine if a short two-handed rod can meet the striper fishing needs while avoiding the issues of longer rods (mentioned above).

So far, we have both a modified and an off the shelf Sage 8wt 12'4" 3 pc rod. The modified rod has been shortened. It easily casts 80 feet of 12 wt line and occasionally puts out a whole 12wt intermediate but isn't quite automatic to throw the whole line. Perhaps a setup like you mention would be an appropriate test? I've tried a hybrid head system (multi-tip) I built for steelhead and it casts very well but I would not make a 'tip' line my main striper line.

The season starting after the Monomoy Clave will be focused on Outer Beach fishing with these new rods. I'll be updating the story on the main homepage accordingly through the season.

Please bring that 11'3" 8/9 Sage two-hander if you can!!!