Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Latest on steel leader you can tie...
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Question Latest on steel leader you can tie...

Well with the cuisinarts of the sea finning northward along the atlantic coast, I thought it would be a good time to take inventory of what we will have for steel leaders to thwart bluefish teeth that can be tied into a knot for 2003.

American wire has been a favorite, it's passable but far from perfect and any miscues require cutting a new end, and cutting itself requires more than a fly anglers snippers. I just buy a handful of .99 cent nail clippers and keep them in the ashtray, they rust almost as quickly as they get dull and double as grooming tools when the fish aren't biting

I've heard Tyger line is another newer product, and they advertise their knot tying ability as the reason to buy. With the demand pretty high in this area and the mark-up pretty high ($7-9 for a small leader spool of American Wire) one would think this is an area manufacturers will be pursuing in the exploding coastal flyfishing market in the northeast.

Anyone see a new solution at the shows? I didn't really get to walk around much.