Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - "Things" that make you say: "ALLL RIIIGHT!"
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Pullin' Thread

Fred,

Back in the 60's and early 70's I saw my father go in the area of 250,000 to 275,000 before the car began using excess oil. He would then get the heads reconditioned with new valves, valve springs, rocker arms, lifters, and valve guides. Then he would drive it another 150,000 to 200,000 miles before getting rid of it. Dad worked for the railroad in Pennsylvania and more often than not had to drive 60 to 90 miles one way to get to work 5 or 6 days/week so the mile really piled up in a hurry.

His secret, changed the oil and filter every 2,000 miles, change the air filter every 20,000 miles, change the antifreeze and thermostat every year, a tune up every 20,000 miles, and have the transmission serviced every 30,000 miles. He called these the cheapest autoparts you could buy. Remember this was with the technology of 40 years ago, and both engine technology, oil filtering technology, and lubricating oil technology have come a long way since then.

Only goes to show that if you service your vehicle at the so-called "severe use" intervals, they go a long way without major problems. I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 liter engine that just turned 207,000 miles, and I use less than an 1/8th of a quart of oil between the 3,000 mile oil and filter changes it has had since new. I'm very sure it would pass a smog test without a hitch.