Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - A Flyfishing challenge
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2000, 08:51 PM

A Flyfishing challenge

I've been kicking around this silly idea (uh oh...his last one turned into a CLave, here we go again). Not to worry.
One of the best things about FF is the mental challenge. Face it, many are drawn to this sport for the stimulation a good mental challenge brings (don't start that dreaded "Why we flyfish" thread again!). There is so much to consider: wind, tide, current, colors, time of day etc. etc. But I've been thinking it would be real fun to have a sort of competition that challenges the calculation of all these things. In some settings competition really sucks and FF can be one. But, combined with the luck factor, there is a way to have a real honest to god hoot and have the thrill of competing. Let's say you take 10 guys and <b>leveled the playing field</b> by doing the following:

* Gave each person an identical set of fly tying materials. Enough to make 1 or 2 flies. You can tie any patttern you like except deceiver patterns. And make it tough like undersized or oversized hooks, tough colors etc.

* Then go to a shore where nobody has ever fished before

* NO boats.

Everyone throws in 5 bucks and the best catch or rarest catch or best story wins the kitty. Ok you hate competition, fine, but I like the creativity of the sport and a little challenge like this could spark some great ideas. And there is always lady luck to really rock the boat.
Well just thinking, and countin down the days till it's time to fish. Would like to know what you guys think though.

TerryW