Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Kayaks for fishing, Questions for the forum...
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2000, 08:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Kayaks for fishing, Questions for the forum...

Dave -

The Yak Attack Clave is a totally awesome idea... one suggestion would be to hold it on Brewster Flats. I think Don Baker (Sesuit Creek Outfitters) might sponsor it there and offer a few varieties for us to try - no promises but I will ask him.

There is a sequence of flats and shoals that can be fished using yaks that I know quite well (or at least did before the winter).

There are sizable fish in spring and fall, I got a 38"-ish bass in 3 feet of water last fall and several keepers (released) in spring on foot. Two seasons ago I landed three over 30" in 7 casts, but it'll never happen again I'm sure. The yak would only improve the odds as the fish clearly set up on different locations on different days. By mid-season they are off shore on Billingsgate Shoals 2 miles out - a bit far for yakkin' I'd say.

Another option would be Hardings Beach or Morris Island, sortie to the edge of North Monomoy's famous Common Flats. I'd pick a light Southeast wind to aid the return voyage(?)