Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - GL Surf's Up Steelhead
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 01:48 PM

Yeah!

One place I love is where a power plant discharges in a stream close to Lake O. The bridge and outlet are full of guys trying to catch 'em on eggs when they run upstream. But if you have the gonads to wade and surf, it's neat! About a month ago, I suggested to a guy with a pontoon boat that he give it a try (good access - a large fishermen's parking lot, and you just cross a road and launch it). And it's not a long drive, either! Some places are just MADE for pontoon boats. But I don't ever see anyone using them. I do surf fish there frequently, but it is a tough casting distance as the slope is very gradual.

He did VERY well, and LOVED it! - On his first trip, he picked up 2 steelies, a brown, a coho, and a fresh (2 year old) chinook. All in half a day's fishing. Sometimes you even manage a laker. All you have to do is make sure you have a favorable and reasonably calm wind. And he commented on the convenience.

(I am now contemplating a pontoon boat for my birthday this summer! - Maybe sooner!):hehe:

BobK