Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Bass Bugs for Smallmouth
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Q: Over the years that I have tied spun deer hair, I have tried just about everything, including various types mechanical and electric clippers. In the end I always come back to my straight razor and leather strap. This seems to work best for me and can be sharpened easily when it gets dull. As for thread, I have also experimented with all sorts of stuff from rod building thread, Kevlar, silk etc. I still use plain old 3/0 Uni-Thread and get excellent results. Spinning is not different from any other technique, it takes no great skill but it does take practice and theproper deer hair. In another post I talked about "not all deer hair" is the same, you may want to search for this post in the archives. Being a hunter, I have an incessant supply of White Tail and Mule deer skins, of varying ages and sex. Through a friend who is a Fish & Wildlife officer, I also have access to deer that are road kills and the skins are taken at various times of the year. I also dye my own and wind up with some really different colors, all by way of experimentation. I realize that not everyone has this type of access so my suggestion is to be very diligent in selecting hair at a store. Lastly, maybe deer skins are different if the purpose is to protect the animal through severe winter cold Vs. them spoiled Texas deer who live in desert heat?
Pete AKA Frenchcreek from Calgary