Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Florida Bound in 2003
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2003, 08:23 AM

Florida flats fishing

Congratulations, Chris, on winning The Prize behind Door Number One--the Fishing Extravaganza of a Lifetime!!!!!

If you like flats fishing, then you're going to LOVE living down here, my friend.

I guided a couple from Michigan the past two days. Thursday, in Lemon Bay (the ICW at Englewood), they had pretty good action and went home grinning.

By YESTERDAY the water had warmed and we (they) NAILED so many trout and ladyfish that when we were talking about it on the drive back from Sarasota Bay we all agreed that we couldn't even come up with a number of the fish they landed, lost and simply "missed." It was an awesome day. Mostly trout. Mostly in or above the 15-20" "slot" limit --although this was all catch-and-release fishing. Some very large ladyfish (second cousins to tarpon that like to jump a lot when hooked--but in the 20-30" range).

So, if we can just keep Old Man Winter from losing his way and wandering South again, you should have a tremendous time while you're here. You can e-mail me, or give me a call at 941-496-4289 (Venice) and I'll give you the scoop on the Ft. Myers area as well as the keys. I spend a lot of time down there and will be happy to steer you in the right direction.

Tight Loops,
CapT