Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Chironomid Pattern " Bridge Midge"
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 03:50 PM

Location: The West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and one day the Thompson
Big Dave

The Chirono's here in BC can get huge...we have some here we call bombers......1 1/2 inches long...you can tie them on a size 8 3x long shank and just start to match the hatch....the one in the pic I cannot remember what size it is but judging from the size of the antron I am going to say 12.....I have a new material that makes the most outstanding gills I have ever seen.
It is called "Wooly nylon" and you can find it in any sewing store....it is apparently used on sergers.....it comes in 900 meter rolls...enough to last several life times...about $8 a spool...when it is pulled tight it is very slim...when you let it go after it has been cut it flairs up just like the real gills on a chironomid

I cannot remember who the originator is...I think it is from a fellow over in Europe ...so I cannot take credit for it. Whoever it was did a fine job....

I will post more of my favorites as the season approaches. I can see that the trout section needs some bolstering....we are way behind the stipers and steelhead

Nice chatting with you fellows

Best regards....jake

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!!!