Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Upper Merrimac Brood Salmon
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2000, 08:08 AM

RE:Upper Merrimac Brood Salmon

An Atlantic salmon fishing clave in Nova Scotia - that does sound very interesting. I have been to Nova Scotia, specifically Cape Breton around 22X in my life, as my parents are from New Waterford.

The island is beautiful and I would highly recommend a summertime camping trip up there along the Cabot Trail. I went up there for a 10 day camping trip in 1994 (wow, 6 yrs already...) and hiked along some wonderful rivers. The area was in a bit of a drought in late August of that year, and the river was closed for fishing. The water was crystal clear and we were able to spot ATS parr swimming in pools and watch eels too. Lots of kingfisher activity as well, they are my favorite bird species, and a hoot to watch hunt.

If there are good water levels the place is easy enough to get to either by ferry or a rather lengthy car ride (~16hrs from central MA). Back then fishing licenses to fish in the parks were $2/day (CDN) and something like $10/week (CDN), and the camp sites were very, very reasonable. I'm sure the salmon regs are a little different though. And as a bonus the water on the western side of Cape Breton - Northumberland Straight - were as warm as the summer waters on the south side of Cape Cod - drastically different than the cold Maine coast.

<b>photo of a hatchery ATS smolt</b>