Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Saltwater Fishing in Feb?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003, 03:09 PM

Having just returned from the Keys yesterday, I gotta say that although you need to get a little lucky with the weather this time of year , there are no bigger bones than in the Keys.
It took all week but when the cold front had passed and the wind stopped, Thursday and Friday were awsome. Flat & Calm, 77 degrees and the bonefish were hungry.
I rented a 17' whaler w/50 hp on Friday and went about two miles out in the gulf side till I hit the flats about 10 miles west of Islamorada and had tailing and schooling fish all day. The tally for the day, 2 snapper Jacks on the way out (they were bustin on top and after a tough week I had to get the skunk out of the boat early) and 7 Bonefish including one that was bigger than I ever could have imagined.
I'll try to post some pictures after I develop and scan them as soon as I can and I will follow up with a full trip report as well. But, just so you know, my new most favorite place for bonefish is the Florida Keys.

BTW, Juro the Green Turtle is still there as well as the Cracked Conch up in Key Largo, man that conch chowder, conch fritters and cold beer was incredible, but the Key Lime Pie was the best.

Last edited by bcasey; 01-12-2003 at 03:14 PM.