Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Salmon Aquaculture Impact
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2002, 09:40 AM

Thumbs up

Scott K, boy that site you posted was really great. You have sportsmen from the left as well as the right posting on the internet in Canada. Down here all of our fishing sites have only strange land rights, right wingers that only fish in camo fatiges.

Gardener, as always with any enviro movement the emotions have to come first. Let us hope that your movement in Scotland will now have the time, funding and political power to help find alternative work for the peoples of the coast.

Many of us hope that the Salmon Farms will be able to be moved inland and into safe holding areas with proper treatment of effluent waste. Not sure that this will work untill the coastal net pen farms have been eliminated and total restrictions on imports are put on over seas farms. That would be hard with WTO policies now the mainstream. Reason we will not see inland fish farming untill the net pen farming is gone is cost.
I did some cost research for just polution control for a starting up farm on lets say one of our rivers in Eastern Washington.

First off one can not treat fish farm effluent with just UV disinfection as the organisms are to large and too many and the amount of UV light banks would be imense to get proper kill rate.
One would have to use chlorine gas disinfection with So2 de-chlor to nuteralize any Cl2 residual going into the river.

If the farms were required to meet pollution standards that city and counties are required to meet to treat thier sewage wastes on a river that has an ESA listing then there would have to be primary, secondary and a polishing treatment before disinfection.
This would have to be done as the farms waste is every bit as organic in content as a wastewater treatment plant. If the fish farm used 1 million gallons of water a day which seems likely for a small to average size farm and used the needed controls that a city wastewater plant does. The cost would be about 5 to 6 million dollars to start with the simplest facilities. The chemical and process control cost yearly not including labor and utilities would run about .5 million dollars a year.

Added cost for a fish farm would come from the amount of hazardous chemicals they use in disease control. These chemicals would not be removed from conventional treatment and would need to be stripped out by air towers or by chemical stripping. This cost would be an added 2 to 3 million dollars to build.

As we can see it will be hard for an inland farm to compete with a net pen farm with virtually no restrictions on it. But I want to point out that inland farms are happening, just this week got a call from Scotland about some pollution control equipment for an inland salmon farm in Eastern Washington that the Scottish company owns. I am looking forward to working with this company and seeing if we can make it cost effective and enviromentally safe.