Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Steelheading USA
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2002, 10:05 PM
Pullin' Thread

Lipripper,

This show and tell of the fly fishing mags is very maddening indees. I've seen it happen in Montana (I lived there for 12 years from (1979 to 1991) to the point where there were so many fishers, boats, and guides that you couldn't efffectively fish. It has gotten so bad on some of Montana's rivers that there are restrictions being placed on the number of boats allowed in certain river stretches and some stretches have even place restrictions of out-of-state anglers.

Saw this in Pennsylvania,where I grew up (left at age 25) as well. Everytime someone does a show and tell on a Pennsylvania stream or river, it gets so many fishermen it is pathetic.

I've seen this same thing happen here in Washington state where I now live as well. There was a time when you could go fish on the Olympic Peninsula rivers and see only a few other fishermen in a day. Everytime someone (usually a guide or shop owner) writes one of these show and tells, the river named gets flooded with fisherfolks, and most of them son't know what they are doing. Sure thrash the water to a froth though and scare any steelhead around silly.

I've seen it here in the NOrth Puget Sound region too. Last year there was an 'article', really a marketing promo, in a regional fishing mag on one of my favorite fall steelhead rivers. This is a small to medium sized river and it really effects things a lot when a bunch of fishermen shjow up. Needless to say, I was appalled at both the numbers of fishermen and the unsportsmanlike conduct this hoard displayed. The crowd hung around until the weather turned cold (for us that means lows in the upper 20's and highs in the 40's). There were 2 fly shops in the area sending folks there as well and telling them that all they had to was find some open water and they would catch fish.

The maddening part about it was the person who wrote the article did so to increase his guiding business, then he had the gall to complain about how those of us who had been fishing this river for years were keeping his clients from getting to the water! He had the nerve to ask several folks (myself included) to go and fish some of the less acceccesible water so that his clients could have a chance at the fishing 'cause many of them travelled a considerable distance from out of state to get in on the bounty.

Fortunately, this did not happen again this year on this river.

I would love to see the guides and shops that do this simply knock it off. Yes, it provides some additional revenue for them for a time. But it just destroys the experience of having a pleasurable day astream.

I sure hope that some of this stuff gets curtailed.