Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Need hints for chums
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 12:05 PM
Kodiak Alaska

Chum Fly

Fly of the Month: Freakazoid

Notes: They say that a Rose by any other name is still a Rose; and if thats true then the Freakaziod is a simply a Woolly Bugger. But when I heard of, and saw the Freakaziod I knew that this was an Alaskan Salmon pattern that had to make Fly of the Month. The Freakazoid came from the creative mind of Tom Cloninger at Three Rivers Fly Shop in Wasilla. The story of the creation is that Tom decided to see what would happen if he took the three most effective colors on salmon flies and incorporated them into one of the most effective pattern styles. The results are a fly that the Chum salmon can't seem to keeps they're lips off. (Chum salmon are also known as Dog salmon for some obscure reason.) Chums are an underrated game fish that are aggressive to a fly and put up a heck of a (dog) fight. Here in south-central the Susitna drainage receives a run of Chums and they can be caught in July and August. Although, I do want to warn you that late in the season they are (dog) ugly and have a mouth full of teeth you'll need to avoid.

***Taken from Alaska Fly Fishers website, July 2002 fly of the month.

Great site for Alaska Fly Fishing and patterns: http://www.akflyfishers.org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freakazoid.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	938  

www.mjcorder.com
Alaska Weather...
My Flies...

We who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.