Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - ESPN2 - Carp Fly Fishing
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2002, 02:06 PM
_

I guess I'm more of a "middle road" kind of fly fisherman :hehe: .

I considered chumming and/or adding scent to my flies when I first started trying for carp and was thoroughly frustrated at my lack of success. Then came that magical moment when I saw a carp actually following my brown woolly bugger, which I had tied on hoping for a "reaction strike" from the carp that were chasing each other around. The coppery brown color of my fly was similar to the color of the carp, and I observed them chasing and nipping at one another so I decided to give it a try. The carp that were chasing each other still ignored it, but the mudders seemed to want it. So the wrong theory somehow resulted in the right method for success in my neck of the woods.

I've heard about the dog food/ dog biscuit method and I guess that's one way to get them to hit on top, as the pellets apparently float. At least the pellets won't rot if you forget and leave them in the trunk of the car!

BTW, I just got back from the carp pond, where I saw (and spooked) at least 20 fish but did manage to hook and land one on the brown bugger.

Q