Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Anyone ever do a wahoo on a fly?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2002, 11:38 AM
Fly chucker

Eddie and Juro-

I guess that I'm lucky we got some fishing in during our honeymoon. My wife (God bless her heart) knows how tough it would have been on me to go to such a place and not fish, and she likes to catch a few herself. The charter we had was through the place that we stayed, Oyster Beach Resort on the Dutch/French border. We told the resort what we were looking for, and they contacted a bluewater excursion for us in the middle of the week. The boat was owned by a husband and wife team of Marc and Annie (weird, seeing how my wife and I are Mark and Anne). They had an obvious relationship with the resort, but I don't know the details. I was narrow-mindedly focused on the fishing.

The ironic part of it all is that in the months leading up to our honeymoon (first week of June), I had been trying to get a guide for some tarpon and cuda fishing on the flats and ledges.....nothing to be found. Apparently this is a self-service type of fishing there, and I found out upon our return that there is some pretty reliable tarpon fishing on the flats right behind the Butterfly Farm exhibit. There are others, but it's mostly local knowledge. So for the bluewater, that was a second choice. I'm very glad that it worked out the way it did.

Apparently the time of year isn't too important for wahoo. They are an open water fish that will follow bait, so once bait is found they might not be too far behind. CHUM HELPS. The boat ride from the island was appoximately 90 minutes to the fishing area we were in.

I wasn't able to glean too much info from our captain and wife....they spoke only French, and although I'm fluent in the language, it had been over 6 years since I had had any practical use for it. As for other charters, I began my search by typing "Saint Martin fishing" into a search engine, and refined my search from there. Ask what they have and what they might be willing to do for you. Some are very flexible, especially when they see American money.

Good luck if you go. You won't forget it.

By the way, I don't know who was more tired....me after the wahoo, or Anne after one of those stubborn yellowtails. :hehe: