Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Reply from CA Oceans and Fisheries about Skeena netting
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2002, 12:09 AM
the speypages guy

typical

I hate to say it but this is typical DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) stuff. I went after them a few years back about netting in the Fraser during the Thompson steelhead run and I received a similar letter, only this one described to me the mesh net size for the gill nets and stated that they are designed for chum salmon, and that steelhead swim right through them (selective gillnet fishing). Well, guess what? Iím not exaggerating when I say that typical Thompson steelhead are not too far off the size of a typical chum salmon, something that anyone who has caught both knows. Plus I 've spoken to many commercial fishermen who have told me that steelhead caught in the gillnets are toast. Of course they "release" them, but they aren't in very good shape when they do. To be fair, this was a few years ago, so things might have improved, but if they have I haven't heard about it. Get used to it--the Department is famous for issuing these patronizing responses. If you need a little milk and cookies and a pat on the head before bedtime, send them a letter about steelhead. It's alright, really: we Canadians are darn nice people and more than willing to tell you exactly what you want to hear, even if we both know it's BS.

Oooooh boy, there I go getting hostile about the politics of steelhead again. Quick, grab the trout rods!
FFF certified casting instructor

Last edited by Dana; 08-09-2002 at 01:41 AM.