Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - back to my roots
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2002, 11:41 AM

Dana,

I did the same thing this week in the Black Hills of South Dakota trout fishing on their small spring creeks in beautiful mountain and meadow settings and mountain lakes. Caught a few small rainbows but had some chances at 15-20 inch ones that were very educated in some of the clearest spring creek water I have seen in a long time. One look at the leader shadow and they were not interested.

Have to do more small stream trout fishing where I started in the sport 42 years ago on eastern trout fishing, lots of fun and peaceful beautiful surroundings. No drift boaters and few other anglers to contend with unlike steelhead and salmon fishing here in the great lakes and it appears every where else.

Nothing like walking into a remote mountain stream pursuing trout on the dry fly and taking in the beauty of nature.

Only fished 3 days since the remainder of the trip with two of my sons was hiking the wilderness areas (Peter Norbeck and Black Elk Wildernesses), wild life watching (buffalo, antelope, bighorn sheep, etc..) and sightseeing (Badlands, Custer State Park, Black hills, Mt Rushmore, Lead, Deadwood, Spearfish, etc..) Great area for an out door family oriented vacation. Lots we did not have time to do.

That small stream fishing was a welcome relief from the competitiveness of steelhead and salmon river fishing.

Maybe I should go back to my trout fishing roots ?

Hal