Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - loop knots
Thread: loop knots
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2001, 11:30 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

my .02 on this topic (good topic BTW) is that some flies are greatly enhanced by the loop knot, others don't need it. So the advantage applies to only a subset of the flies you fish. Unless there is some other advantage I don't know about besides increased motion to the fly?

The disadvantages include double the tippet for the fish to see (I know I can see them a lot better), a weaker knot than say a palomar, increased wind resistance, susceptibility to imperfections in hook eyes (although I have seen them fail by 'opening' up which indicates a fault of the knot's strength).

Since I switched to Tiemco, Daichi, and other high QC brands ($$ I know) the eye imperfections have become a rarity not to mention the chemically sharpened points. Mustads are a great value, but I won't risk my precious few steelhead, salmon, cow striper or bonefish opportunities on a cheap hook.

Anyway, I am a straight palomar knot kind of guy, with a clinch now and then - only when the tippet is so short a palomar would put the blood knot to the taper too close to the fly and the fish are breaking so I don't have time to replace the shortened tippet.

Yesterday I started the day with a palomar knot, hit a sequence of hard fighting stripers in an inlet, then sight cast on the flats landing stripers up to 33", then landed a medium sized bluefish in the 6-7 pound class w/o steel, all on the same knot. After the rare blufish landing the tippet was hosed but the knot is still on the eye of the fly.

When I used to fish trout a lot and went to fine leaders I stopped losing those hard fighting holdovers to popped knots on spider-web fine tippets by switching to a palomar. Haven't switched back since.

On the down side it takes a little more tippet to tie a palomar than an improved clinch, although much less than a loop knot takes. Also people who haven't practiced it a lot get a curly-cue effect from over-tightening when drawn shut. It's possible to impact no pressure on tippet if the loop is drawn down correctly.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to fish with what *you* have confidence in, everyone's needs and opinions vary to some extent and within their target areas they might be 100%. My observations over the years have led me to the simple approach of using on super-tough little knot called the palomar.