Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - My Inflatable
Thread: My Inflatable
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2002, 06:16 AM

Talking inflatable over a kayak

I thought that this morning I would go controversal, because I have been having so much fun with my inflatable this year. I have been launching in the surf, and going out and fishing the edge of a rip, been catching all kinds of fish on flies. The only thing is, nothing large than around 30 inches in bass. I know there is large fish there but they have lock jaw. Most of the large fish are being taken at night. The inflatable is very stable, although kind of hard to row. Launching andf returning in the surf is kind of wet though. Alone it is hard after hitting the beach, to get out between waves, because of the buoyancy it is like a cork. The comfort of a good, comfortable fishing platform is worth it, actually able to standup. I wouldn't want though to go more than a few hundred yards offshore, but that is what I changed from a kayak for, doing a little more than just wearing a boat, sitting below the water-line in discomfort I might add. I have two configurations, one is I have a rowing seat which is about in the center. The second configuration has a large wide seat at the back end with a motor bracket where I have mounted a two HP Johnson outboard. This works real well in the salt ponds like Quonochotaug. I can drift around on the edge of the flats, anchor if I wish, stand, and cast to foraging fish then motor back to my launch site. With the kayak, I never could get out of it so I could wade, and fish the flats. I also can with the motor, run out to the mouth of the breachway, got to fix the motor first though, When I grab the throttle I get a pretty good shock. Have to find the time to take it apart, find where it is grounding out. Right now I am getting good exercise rowing. Bring on the False Albacore. I am attaching a picture I hope taken of the club's property from offshore. Beautiful day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iboat5.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	648