Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - spring reports
Thread: spring reports
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2000, 07:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:spring reports

Guess not too many folks are out for steel in the lull period between spring nates and summer missiles. The Sky/Snoq/Green gets nice early shots of summer fish which couldn't give us more trouble than the spring fish did this year... early mornings, muddler heads, leeches and prawns.

A three-banger on the Cow, Kalama, and East Fork Lewis was a typical Columbia trib run for me in the ol' days. Each are less than an hour apart on I-5 and a good rendezvous for Portland / Seattle clavers. Sometimes I would start on the Cow and never get beyond it for the fish that I was getting into, other times the Kalama would be the ticket. The one I fished least was the East Fork despite the fact that I rarely got skunked there. I think it was the fact that I could hardly get past the other two rivers on an outing without taking the whole weekend.

I once landed a huge May summer run buck fishing from the gravel pit to the cut bank just below the riffle downstream from Daybreak. Talk about shoulders. The last time I fished it I was staying at my brother's place in Portland and shot up there for the morning. I fished the stretch for a while, then it started to downpour. I ran up to get my jacket and came back. Landed a 31 inch hen on my second cast after the rain. I think the fly was a purple magic (marabou wing wet fly w/ crystal ribbing).

If it were me out there right now, I'd be swinging a fly from the far bank on the bend below Barrier Dam on the Cow for hellacious action. There would be plenty of fish hanging around the boat launch riffle and in the island channel if the river height is less than 10.3 gauge feet. If you gave it a few weeks and floated it the place would be full of summer runs, I usually landed my first chromer on or before fathers' day. This ain't the Sauk or Skagit by any means but it great entertainment.