Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Techniques??
Thread: Techniques??
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2002, 05:20 PM
GL Surf Smurf

Techniques??

Their are many techniques for fishing for the elusive steelhead in the Great Lakes, as well as the west coast. I am the person who fishes runs primarly. I try to keep away from fishing the elusive redd. I am not saying fishing redds are unethical. I usually use a 10' 8wt. With a good floating line(rio steelhead/atlantic salmon, airflo, etc) it all depends on your prefernce. Another effective way is using a 300, 400 grain sink tip line swinging speys. This can be accomplished on a 9- 15ft rod. Again all your preference. Im not going into chuck and duck because it could start an arguement. I do not like throwing sinking lines in rivers because it puts to much drag into the line, therefore your arm gets a painful workout from mending every 2 seconds. I feel fishing an indicator line is best used for drifting nymphs and eggs. If you are a spey addict stick with the sink tip or full sinking. I'll say it again, your techniques should be based on what is comfortable for you. I believe 75% of catching fish is based on confidence alone. You have to believe in what your doing or it will never work. Just helping those who don't know which one to choose.

Feel free to add your comments

Chrome4life@yahoo.com

Drew Peklo