First, it's a privilege to have the views from such an important part of angling heritage present in our community. Glad you decided to join Malcom in our online global angling club.
I am not familiar with any regulations that are based on gender of the species, nor do we have even/odd retention rules. The most fundamental rules (other than length) for salmonids include:
- catch and release or catch and kill (by water)
- hatchery fish verses wild fish (adipose fin not removed)
- quota-based seasons (open till estimated quota killed)
- seasons determined by expected (predicted) returns
- seasons driven by time of year (spring natives for instance)
- some combination of the above
If the C&R mentality of the US and Canada catches on in other parts of the world, it might be a way we can give something back for all that we've gained from centuries of angling lore and wisdom.
Welcome to the Forum!