Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - First Summer-Run of the Year
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Steve-
Pulled her out of the lower Quillayute. Sure wish we would have hooked her on steelhead gear and not chinook gear (as we were chasin' after jerry springer)...she tore me up on those heavy rods, can not imagine what she would have done on a steelie rod.

I have always been intrigued by saltchuck steelhead after reading Raymond's accounts of chasing after saltwater steel in estuaries.

Saltwater steelheading seems to be an untouched steelie fishery here in Wa. state aside from Ft. Casey and Bush Point. I was quickly discouraged though as the estuary steelhead fishing that Raymond described in Steelhead Country seems to have all but disapeared with the rampant urbanization.

I have no desire to stand in the surf and cast to the same spot hour after hour hoping that a stray steelie swims by.

On another note in regards to tidal steelhead, I read a short blib about the lower Quillayute being an excellent steelhead fishery with the fly for the winter-runs.

That had me very curious as I know, away from Richwine Bar, the Quillayute see very little traffic during the winter months and to tell you the truth, the idea of chasing after fresh from salt OP steelies on the shallow flats of the lower Quillayute seems like a Hell of alot of fun and has the possibility for the encounter of a lifetime.

As we made our way down the river I was looking for good fly water such slots within the shallow flats and inside seems. There are more then enough to occupy the better half of a day...

If this fishery produces the potential I think it could, you will not hear it from me!!!!!!

Plus we did chase some springers into deeper water as we floated over the shallow tailouts...springers that could be reached easily with a swung fly. Hmmmm....

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 05-09-2002 at 12:00 AM.