Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Trip planning
Thread: Trip planning
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Come to think of it 95% of all the tailers I've ever seen were on the bayside flats. I agree, they are H-O-T when hooked in their little nervous hunting forays into the shallows. I love the bayside.

Since there is little to no chance of overcrowding in this situation, here's a killer access that I was letting Penguin onto the other day... GRAYS landing (coincidence intended). It's on the East Yarmouth side of Bass Hole between Barnstable / Sandy Neck and Chapin Beach. You just take the turn off 6A and there's the ramp. The channel does not dry up thru the low tide although it does get very skinny once the outlet fans out over the shoals between Bass Hole and Sandy Neck. Make no mistake the current makes navigation against the current difficult but there will be no drag involved and if you time the tide for outgoing departure and incoming arrival you will have zero drag and smooth sailing in both directions. This was a favorite canoe launch point for me in the past, but the chances of paddling back to the ramp during the outgoing were slim to nil for me when alone in a 16ft canoe. Working with the tides in a yak would be a piece of cake.

There are a lot of insider spots I will save for outings, if you're interested just show up.