Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Trip planning
Thread: Trip planning
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2002, 06:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

ON the FLIPSIDE...

Draggin' only happens when you're on a big shoreline flat and the hot fishing is "out there". If you launch at mid-tide and pull at mid-tide it's no big deal to get to water. Makes for a nice long 1/2 day of fishing, but the point is time controls that convenience.

Also, there are spots where access to the channel is at your feet thru the tide all over the coast. A good example is the Barnstable Harbor public launch, which is never completely dry. River mouths and estuaries are options but there's more to it than just water...

Constrictions (channels) that hold water thru a low tide often have a hard current through the tide changes that influences your departure/return times as well.

This is where one needs the "serious" kayak - to slice against the currents. I watched a kayakker motoring up toward the ramp at a major outlet last year during the heat of the ebb making only a fraction of the strokes that a western drift boat would have made. I would turn my head and he'd be 100 yards further up, reaching the ramp with what appeared to be little difficulty. Although I love to hype the unconventional wisdom of my yak toy, it will not have the current slicing ability of a 'real' kayak, of course. You'd have to carry it in a raging current (but then you could).

Over time, we will all learn where the structure holds water with negotiable current during the tide changes, and learn where the channels hold water within easy reach of the shore on inshore flats.

Last year at Saint's Landing there was a channel that stayed floatable far into the ebb and flooded right away on both sides of the main clam flat leading out to the Blue Hole. The channel on the east side is obvious, but the one on the west side was hard to follow standing at sea level and was marked with a milk jug mooring.

If these channels are still there after mother nature's winter shuffling, they would allow drag-free launching out to the smokin' outer shoals to within a couple hours of the low on anyday except extreme minus lows.

Consequently these channels are full of fish as soon as the water gets high enough to invite the bass down them particularly where the terminate at the shoreline. I've see more tailing bass at these channel terminals than any other identifiable structure, and way more tailing bass on the bayside flats than any other part of the cape.

-J