Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Salmon Fishing in NH
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 07:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds good; I'll bring a couple of spey rods along. I know Jay and Diane Clancy are interested in going up there again, as is Domenic. A Spey clave on the Merrimac just might come together.

I hope the water levels are on the low side. This makes for exceptional salmon fishing conditions provided the water is still cold. Once it warms up it becomes a smallmouth bass show, which is not a bad thing but I'd rather pursue bronzebacks in the lakes region than catch them as a substitute for salmon.

I'll probably bring my pooltoy

I have a hard time getting excited about brood stock planted salmon but when I consider that this program is the only thing keeping the once abundant atlantic salmon in the hearts and minds of sportsmen on the Merrimac, their role becomes absolutely critical (besides bearing the young that are planted for migration).

When you watch John Greenwood's slide show and think about what we have lost right here in our backyard, it's maddening. The Merrimac was once a highly productive native atlantic salmon river. Think about that one for a while... blows the mind. When you see how beautiful the Franklin stretch of the river is, you'll be even more angry about the extinction of the original strain due to a couple of thoughtless dams.

By our interest in the Merrimac salmon we are voting to keep the restoration effort alive. Count me in!