Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Need some advice on tidewater fly fishing
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2002, 04:00 PM

Question Need some advice on tidewater fly fishing

Hey Everyone,

I intend to start fly fishing for chinook and coho salmon heavily in tidewater this fall. The river I will be fishing is the Umpqua River in southwestern Oregon. I have some experience fly fishing for steelhead, just to let you know. What I am wondering was if anyone has any tips on fishing for these fish in tidewater. I have not yet tried this before and am looking for any suggestions on where to start, that is ideas on techniques, presentations, gear, flies, etc. This will be a totally new experience for me. I have gear fished for them for years farther upriver and have some ideas to try on them when they are that far upriver.
Also, I am interested to know if anyone can point me in the direction of any good reading materials sources. I have read "Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon," "Salmon to a Fly," and the section in Combs' "Bluewater Fly Fishing" on Pacific salmon. I have been going through several issues of Wild Steelhead and Salmon Magazine, American Angler, Fly Tyer, and Field and Stream. Overall, I haven't found much on this subject in my magazines. And the most I have found to date on the web is here in this forum.
Anyway, thanks for reading, and I am open to all suggestions.