Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Best Time to Yak the Cape
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2002, 06:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

How did I miss this one? COUNT ME IN!

We have options in case of a strong SW wind as well; the bayside flats held big fish thru the whole summer and although most seasons they leave for Billingsgate by Father's Day I'm hoping for a trend.

Early morning low - this will require launch in darkness or portage over flats and restrict fishing much of the ebb in daylight, but we'd take the flood in prime time and have an easy ride back to shore for brunch in either Chatham or Brewster.

Big moons have been either feast or famine for me - the big current swing washes things around strong and pushes bait and fish into action; yet the fish have fed all night in the brightness and are prone to be very laid back in the morning after an initial flurry in the South Beach, North and South Islands.

Late afternoon drop in channel structures between the bigger shoals would be where I would put my money. This would give the fish time to work up an appetite and with the approach of evening and the big swing in tides the fish would be caught in holes as the tide re-approaches through the evening. I know of several such channels but won't discuss them here.

In fact, if we launch in the early afternoon while there is still a strong ebb we can fish to the slack (-.4 in stage!) and take the flood for 2 hours until we need to get back to Dodge before dark.

Bayside would be one hour earlier, a better bet but the parking is an issue unless we are willing to take a 1.7 mile paddle from Sesuit.

We can play it by ear.