Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - PNW - Fish Farms
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2002, 11:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hal -

This is not just a PNW issue, it's a global issue. The problem affects both oceans and both hemispheres. Fish farming as it is practiced today is wrong for a number of reasons. There are simply not enough controls on this industry which BTW is growing at a break-neck pace. Strains used for farms worldwide are almost exclusively atlantic brood that has been bred from the wild steed to a docile heiffer over decades of genetic manipulation, and hundreds of thousands if not millions have escaped on both oceans to show up where they don't belong. The chemicals and antibiotics, waste feces issues, sea lice population explosions are all ugly side effects. Where are the regulatory controls on inadequate pen structures and lack of safeguards against escape? Where are the effluent level monitoring and product inspection laws? I agree with what they did in the biggest chunk of the PNW - Alaska, who has outlawed fish farming.

Farmed salmon might taste good lately... but the artifical coloring (xantaxanthan (sp?)) and flavoring (ferol bromides, etc) in the 60% oil pellets kind of ruins the experience for me as well, although the end product is certainly flavorful, popular, and I guess better for you than beef on steroids.

Stewards of wild salmon worldwide are deeply concerned about this problem, not the least of which the people of the PNW who have a lot at risk with their true native steelhead and salmon runs, and people in Europe who are trying hard to retain their legendary indigenous atlantic populations.

Akin to the dumping of PCB's in the Great Lakes systems, it's greed before all else all over again. When you buy a fishing license in upstate NY they give you a PCB warning pamphlet with it, don't eat the belly meat, none for children and pregnant women, etc. You're probably safe from fish farming in the great lakes, but for all the wrong reasons.

I am going to stay focused on the positives - there are still great runs of wild fish to be found, and if we all remain informed and involved the currently missing regulatory controls on this run-amok industry will be voted into law soon.