Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Pike fly swap?
Thread: Pike fly swap?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2002, 10:45 AM
Fly chucker

Question Pike fly swap?

I happened to be home from work yesterday (passed a kidney stone during the past couple of days) and my spirits were picked up when I caught an episode of John Barrett's "Flyfishing the World" on ESPN. He and a partner were catching monster pike on 8 weight outfits in the Yukon Territories. These fish were caught in three feet of crystal clear water and the strikes made me sit upright in amazement. Even in slow motion, the pike hit with a blinding speed that would rival a bluefish. I've caught some pike in my day, but nothing like the 32"-38" behemoths that were being pulled from these remote waters. And they were atypically fat for their species.

This has lit a fire for me. I plan to start tying up some pike flies so that I'll be armed for the spring when I chase pike locally. How many days to go?........

Would anyone be interested in a pike fly swap? The recent warmwater swap seems geared towards bass, and pike flies are usually on a much larger scale. I don't know what the interest would be, but I'd be willing to be the meister if there are enough on board.

Please respond in kind if you're interested. Thanks.