Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - South Sound Sea Runs
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2001, 02:52 PM
juro's Avatar
juro juro is offline
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Steelhead country|striper coast|bonefish belt
Posts: 20,594
That's hillarious! Jeff Roop, a very active contributor in the northeast region, once caught a perfect boat anchor and rope on a flyrod! Landed it too.

On a kinda related note, when I first moved to WA I was dying to catch a halibut. We went out to Sekiu and hit the delta off the Sekiu and Hoko River mouths. The only thing I had big enough to use for halbut was the lower half of a surf casting rod, just the lower half. We lowered the frozen horse herring not knowing what to expect. In no time at all we were fast to a very heavy object that well... I think it's alive... no it's just kelp or something... no that's a head shake... no, must've been my imagination... hmm what if it's an underwater cable? We pull it up and it slowly pulls back. The tide was running hard making things even harder to figure out. Eventually we wrapped the line on the cleat and gave the motor a punch. The line would not break. We motors about 100 yards, still no break. I unwrapped the line and there was definitely some pulsing going on down there! We clamped down the drag and kept at it and eventually saw a huge olive diamond shape looming in the depths. It was a halibut of about 45 pounds!

That wasn't even the funny part. It was now time for me and two air force recruits from McChord AFB to wrestle our first halibut onto the 14' livingston skiff. The big 'but now lay calmly alongside the boat as I reached for my brand new shiny Fred Meyer hang gaff. I took the plastic safety sleeve off the point and proceeded to show the gaff experience I had from my east coast bluefish days. I gave the fish the point and yanked, and the halibut woke up! Man, I nearly lost my arm. I did lose the gaff, and it went flying out into the water and sank into the depths. The halibut sounded 100 feet and it was all we could do to save the half/rod from going over.

We worked the butt back up, now a bit smarter about trying to get it aboard. I wacked it with the priest and it sounded again. When we got it to the boat, I whacked it again and this continued as the butt sounded less each time until it could sound no more. We hauled the big fish aboard and laughed until we fell over.

We all got very serious about fishing the rest of the morning. No matter how serious we were, it was like a comedy of errors as the halibut would wake up every 20 minutes and throw everything on the deck (including coolers) around like an angry drunk at a bar room brawl as we ducked for cover. We landed another over by Eagle Pt., 25-30 pound range and a big ling cod and decided it was time for lunch over at the coho resort.

John's buddy decided he was going to bring his sidearm to take care of the last halibut in our limit. I didn't think much of it as we headed out to Eagle Pt. Finally we found another halibut and wrestled it to the surface. As I was preparing to use the priest BLAM! A head-splitting explosion and the top section of the halibuts head is gone. Scared the crap out of me! Later we found out that solid projectiles are not allowed over marine wates. The use of a handgun out there requires shot, not something most people like to put into their sidearm. Anyway the fish came aboard without a fight as one might expect.

We filleted out the halibut, the first three hailbut I ever filleted, and headed home with some very unique tales to tell. Actually, it was so similar to the summer flounder I often filleted before moving out west that it was amazing - just a hundred times bigger.

The next time I visited Sekiu was for coho and I was about to be amazed by their explosive surface takes on bucktails!
Reply With Quote