Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - More on Closed Fishing Zones
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2001, 04:48 PM

cca

I recently joined CCA in Maine because I thought it would be a good thing to support an organization that lobbies for rec. fishermen. When I got the news letter, I was afraid I had made a mistake. The editorial regarding the "no fishing zones" read like something issued by "Wise Use"(a conservative lobby group bought and paid for by mining and logging interests posing as outdoors men). The news letter used many of the same appeals that I have read in editorials supporting jet skis and criticizing "no motor zones". Hmm, I hope I'm wrong, be it seemed like CCA is in bed with the boating industry. I am opposed to the"my right to fish no matter what" mentality. Every one should be willing to make sacrifices to nurture abundant fishing. The striped bass resource has come a long way in a short period of time. These gains were achieved trough good management and sacrifice. No doubt the CCA had a role in this, and I hope I am wrong about their stand against the "no fish zones" I will go to the next meeting and check them out.
Also, I don't think that the Kennebec has even 1/20th the spawning productivity of the Chesapeake or the Hudson. I hope in time it will be a significant contributor.