Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Year end goals
Thread: Year end goals
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2001, 08:29 PM
Fly chucker

Question Year end goals

At the start of every fishing season, I set out a small number of goals that I would like to achieve during the upcoming season. They don't necessarily revolve around numbers or size of fish, but some do. I realize that there is still over a month left in this calendar year, but the fishing is over for many of us and thoughts are turning to next year. Before setting goals for next year, I want to review those of this past season. Mine were as follows:

1. I wanted to catch a smallmouth over 16" on a fly. I had caught many, many of these fish up to 14-16", but seemed to plateau at that level. My goal was achieved in late July when a 16.5" smallmouth took my popper at sunset. Didn't break it by much, but the goal was achieved.

2. I wanted to get a barracuda on a fly during my honeymoon in Saint Martin. The barracuda weren't cooperating, so our guide took us out to do some blue water chumming. Yellowtail showed up, and then an occasional wahoo. I got three takes from three separate wahoo, and landed the largest. It wasn't the fish that I had originally wanted to catch, but it wound up being the fish of a lifetime (5/0 red and white whistler on an 11 weight).

3. I tried to get out west and chase some cutthroats, but it just never happened. Time, money, work......they all conspired against me. This goal will probably carry over to next season, because I have never taken a cutthroat on a fly and would love the opportunity to do so.

Those were the three things that I really set out to do. If I had not achieved any of them, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I fish to relax, and putting undo pressure on myself would have been a real drag. But it's nice to try.

Anyone else meet any personal goals this past year? Freshwater, saltwater, tying, travel? Anything? Please share. I'm very curious.