Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Sky Morning Blues
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2000, 05:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Sky Morning Blues

I could count the suckers I've caught on a fly over the last 15 years on one hand, but I'm not calling anyone a sucker magnet or anything I wonder if there really is a trend of increasing suckers. I know that that little jewel the Cedar River is lined with suckers so thick the bottom looks brown. You throw a rock and they part to expose the normal grey glacial rubble and gravel we're used to seeing in these rivers. The Cedar's once abundant 20 pound native steelhead are pretty much history (e.g. Ballard Locks, Hershel the sea lion, etc., etc.), and I can't help but imagine that the over population of suckers in the slower downtown Renton area is a wall of death to spawning lower river fish and fry.

Thinking back though, over the length of the Skykomish from the falls to the confluence to the Sultan to the Snohomish - the racey silver torpedoes rule! There are plenty of holes for suckers to lay, but isn't it grand that such a short shot from the city there's a world-class native steelhead river!

Hey does anyone know how to reach Dylan to ask if I can post his big steelie photo here?