Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Blind Casting vs. Sight Casting
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2001, 07:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

IHMO - Sight fishing requires a lot of time logged to develop. You might have moments of glory here and there but after one learns the lay of the flats it takes that much time again to get the fish that live there to cooperate. You just have to go, and go and go... and it seems the more you learn, the more complex it becomes - but the fish become more consistent along the way.

Blind casting is only blind if the person is not digging into the scenario with his mind and his fly, and if he is not untangling the complexity of the location with his retrieves and his use of current. Perhaps over 90% of the flyfishermen I see are the cast and strip types. Of course we all cast and strip, but most anglers just cast and strip and expect the fish to materialize coincidentally where they are casting. That's why 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

Why I am hopelessly addicted to sight fishing: No matter how you slice it, blind casting is some fraction of the excitement of sight fishing. Sure, the whole process of finding a blasting hot consistent keeper hole in a blind rip is kick ass and is in a sense like "sighting" fish because of the high level logic of the find. I really enjoy this process and strive to discover these situations every time I go out - but to me each blind fish is still some fraction of the accomplishment and a fraction of the excitement of seeing, targeting, and landing a 40" plus fish in 20-something inches of water on a sugar white flat illuminated by mid-day summer sun.

Sight fishing is not something you can do everyday, or even during certain times of the day, tides, seasons, etc. It's a special privilege for certain parts of the world, and luckily Cape Cod is one of them.