Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Eleuthera Report 2/10 to 2/17
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM

Eleuthera Report 2/10 to 2/17

Just got back from a week at Eleuthera in the N. Palmetto/Governor's Harbour area. The weather was cold and quite windy the first several days. I actually wore my fleece out to dinner one night and that's a first. I think the cold front kept a number of fish in the deeper waters early on. Days 3 and 4 were much better and I got into a good number of fish on the ocean side. Right off my beach front rental house I caught 3-5 pound bones, mutton snapper, jacks, palometa, baracuda, and even a pilchard on a shredded, thin clouser.

The flats fishing seemed thin so I focused on the ocean side and caught most of the fish on size 4 & 6 chartruese/white or tan/white clousers. My limited experience suggests that just about any fly works on the ocean side rather than the flats where fish are much more selective.

Ethics/Technical Question: My question is regarding tippets/leader test. I lost many bones both sight casting and blind casting using a 10-12lb leader with 10lb tippet. That got frustrating so I checked my gear bag and had some 16lb and 20lb flourcarbon leaders for baby tarpon. I switched to a 16lb tippet and didn't lose a fish after that.

I usually broke off as the fish was taking it's first run and I was trying to clear the line through the guides and get it on the reel. Am I just going to need to get a lighter touch as I clear the line or am I OK moving up to a stronger leader/tippet?

Thanks,

Marty

Last edited by MartyG; 02-19-2012 at 02:29 PM.