Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Newbie Here
Thread: Newbie Here
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Just returned from Douthat State Park in what turned out to be a two part trip. That state park is on a reservation basis only. Arrived at the park on the 11th and stayed 3 days. The first two days we stayed at the lake.

Fished Wilson Creek at the mouth of the lake. My casting a fly line is problematic at best. The banks were lined with bait fisherman and kids. Felt very intimidated being the only fly fisherman. Caught two each small brook trout and bluegills. The bait fisherman using meal worms were catching their limits much to my chagrin. On the third day we moved to another campground about a mile below the lake's dam. Wilson creek ran below where we were camped. Had a ball catching small bluegill and brookies fishing all alone.

At the suggestion of my wife who doesn't fish and stayed with the RV and dogs while I did, we returned to the second campground for another three days on the 18th. The first day was a repeat with the small brookies and bluegills. The second day was an absolute wow! Fished both sides of the bridge that is at the entrance to the campground. Caught 5-14" brown trout and one 10"er. When the action at the bridge cooled off went back upstream and resumed the fun with the brookies and bluegills. The third day I got skunked at the bridge. Threw everything I had at them and they only looked at it. Oh well, I learned a lot, caught fish on flies I tied and improved my casting. A win/win in any case.