Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Newbie Here
Thread: Newbie Here
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Newbie Here

Though I've dabbled with fly fishing for the better part of 35 years, I've never taken it much past pan fishing. Always wanted to go trout fishing. Thanks to the encouragement of my wife of 40 years I've done so this past month. What a blast! Now I intend to get serious about both my fishing and tying. Living in northern VA, the opportunities are somewhat limited though. At 64, I feel the time is now.

Through an unfortunate accident I recently lost every fly I owned, my net, my main rod and reel plus some tools. That surprisingly has worked to my advantage in that I've dug out my fly tying books, bought some additional ones and fly tying materials and am now restocking. This has encouraged me to try techniques and flies never tried before.

All of this was being done with the goal of a new fishing trip this month. Though delayed by mechanical trouble with both of our vehicles, reservations have been made for the 11th through the 13th at Douthat State Park. I hope I'll have as good a time as I did on the White River just below the Flat Rock Dam in Branson, MO.