Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Bonefish--Andros or Ambergris Caye
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM

A little late to chime in on this one, but if "getting away from it all" is part of your plan, I recommend Turneffe Atoll in Belize. I just got back from Turneffe Flats Lodge and it was fantastic. I haven't done too much saltwater flyfishing in my life, and this was my first good shot at a slam, and I managed to have the best time possible. Tons of bones, lots of permit, and tarpoon galore all over the atoll. My wife went with and she doesn't fish but still had a great time. She had a guide to herself for all kinds of activities (snorkeling, manatee searches, etc.), and there weren't too many opportunities for her to go shopping (you are on the island by yourself pretty much. It was great to get away from phones, tv, internet, everything. Great food, great place, really great fishing.....

Oh yeah, I got the "ground rules double" rather than the slam. Multiple bonefish, a permit, and a shattered rod from a big tarpoon. All in the same day. Got stronger equipment on the way for the next trip down there.