Fly Fishing Forum - View Single Post - CF Burkheimer SH rods
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

I don't know if he's changed his policies

Kerry still does it. I have right now his two wt. 5 mock-ups : 9' and 9'5" , 4pc .
Both are medium-fast rods . 3 pc are more of a moderate action. However Kerry has near 60 taper in wt.5 class and can make the rod ( action, flex) for a specific application.

I like 9'5" wt. 5, 4pc; although it is med-fast action, I can feel near entire blank working during back and forward cast. This blank is mark as a 4/5/6. Personally I consider it as a 5/6. Works beautifully with WF 5 and 6 line. The blank's flex depend on amount of grain/line's length out of the tip and generates quite fast line seed. Interestingly works very well with faster and moderate hand motion.

The rod will be used on typical Alaskan Rainbow ( 18-25") and larger western waters.

Handles trout style small/medium bunny leaches quite well. No problem with 7-8' sink tip up to 35 gr. on line wt.6 ( Rio's Closer line).

If you need a rod for long 12-16' leader for a wary trout when dry fly fishing., he can adjust the flex to accommodate a long trout leader.

Keep in mind that when you talk with Kerry, you are dealing with very experience fly fisher, who was a guide for a long time and happens to be probably the best blank designer in the world.
Last year he sent me a mock-up of his SH rod which was a bit to strong/stiff in the lower 1/2 half of the rod. After a phone conversation 5 weeks later I got the rod I had exactly in my mind !!!!!!!!!!

Kerry can tuned up his double handed and salt water rods as well.

If anyone is interested in a list of Burkheimer's rods, I drop me an PM and can sent a near complete list his rods.

There is an UK site which has almost all rods listed
I can attached the table in form of pdf file with list of rods only.

However to do so I need Juro's OK

Zb